Building plan permit application submissions are reviewed with reference to but not limited the following:
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Energy Code
- 2017 National Electric Code
- Maryland Accessibility Code
- Worcester County Floodplain Management Code BR 2-301- effective 7/16/15 - if located in a Special Flood Hazard Area special construction requirements will apply.
Zoning (accessory structure)
Other Design Requirements
Electrical Permits - Project that involve or require electric must obtain the proper Electrical Permit. However, it is not required prior to the issuance of the Building Permit. Electrical Permits may be obtained at the Worcester County Government Center located at One West Market Street, Room 1201, Snow Hill, MD. Electrical Permits are obtained by a licensed electrician. For more information relative to Electrical Permits, please visit or contact the office at (410) 632-1200. The Electrical Permit fee is $25.00.
Plumbing/Gas Permits - Projects that involve plumbing and installation of gas service and/or appliances must obtain the proper Plumbing/Gas Permits. However, it is not required prior to the issuance of the Building Permit. For more information relative to Plumbing/Gas Permits, please visit Environmental Programs, or contact their office at (410) 632-1220.
Water Supply & Wastewater Disposal - If the property is located within a public water and/or sewer service area, the applicant/property owner should contact the Water and Wastewater Department at (410) 641-5251. If the property is not located within a public water and/or sewer service area, the applicant/property owner should contact Environmental Programs at (410) 632-1220 regarding possible permits and fees.
According to the Worcester County Zoning and Subdivision Control Article, Section ZS 1-115(b) Zoning/Occupancy Certificate, "It is unlawful to:
(1) Use a building or structure or part thereof, erected or located after the effective date of this Title, until a zoning/occupancy certificate for such use shall have been issued by the Department....." Failure to obtain a Zoning/Occupancy Certificate prior to the use or occupancy of any structure is a violation and could result in the issuance of civil infraction citations/fines.
Important Note: Issuance of a Zoning/Occupancy Certificate requires a minimum of 72 hours for processing after approval of the final inspections (Building/Zoning, Plumbing/Electrical, and Water & Wastewater).