Frequently Asked Questions

Animal Control

Can I adopt a pet from Animal Control?

  • Yes, pets are often available for adoption, please call (410) 632-1340.

How do I license my cat or dog? 

  • Many licensed veterinarians and Animal Control have the authority to issue a dog or cat license and issue the license tag. Contact your vet or Worcester County Animal Control for more information at (410) 632-1340. Worcester County law requires that any dog or cat older than 4 months must be licensed in the county. Licenses are only valid while the pet's rabies vaccination is valid. Before a license is issued, the pet owner must prove that the dog or cat has been vaccinated against rabies and that the vaccination is still effective.

Do you have rabies clinics?

  • Yes, four rabies clinics are held yearly, two in the spring and two in the fall. Please call (410) 632-1340 for dates and locations.


Birth Certificates

How do I obtain a birth certificate? 


Emergency Services

What do I need to do to prepare for a hurricane? 

  • The department of Emergency Services has published a Community Prepardness Guide, as well as an Emergency Preparedness Checklist. Both documents can be found here.


Fire Marshal

What fireworks are legal in Worcester County?

  • There are four legal kinds of fireworks in Worcester County. Handheld sparkers, bang snaps, snakes, and ground based sparkling devices or fountains that emit showers of sparks not higher than 12 feet in the air.


Human Resources

Can I get an application online?

  • Currently, we do have application online in PDF file format. Please visit the Employment Opportunites page to download a copy. You may fill out online, print, sign, and mail in, or you may contact Human Resources, or call (410) 632-0090 for an application.



What are the visiting hours at the jail?

  • Visitation is allowed on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 8:30am to 11:30am, and 1:00pm to 3:00pm.


Length of Service Award Program

On July 25, 2000, the Worcester County Commissioners, recognizing the value of volunteer fire companies, adopted into County law the Length of Service Award Program (LOSAP) for volunteer firefighters and ambulance company members of Worcester County. The plan was designed in appreciation of volunteer service and to enhance recruitment efforts. The plan is administered by the Worcester County Human Resources Director, who can be reached Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm at (410) 632-0090. To view the plan in PDF format, click here.


Marriage Licenses

How do I obtain a marriage license?

  • Information can be found on the Development, Review & Permitting permits page.


Parks & Recreation

Is it free to use the Worcester County Recreation Center?

  • The indoor walking/jogging track is free to all citizens. There is a nominal fee for youth and adult programs.

Do I have to reserve a park or pavillion to use it?

  • No. However, to insure use of the pavillion or field renting the faciltiy guarantees the facility.


Sheriff's Office

View Sheriff's Office FAQs


Taxes/Treasurer's Office

How do I change the mailing address for my tax bill?

  • Call the State Dept. of Assessments and Taxation at (410) 632-1196 and request a change of address form or send a written change with property owner's signature to the State Dept. of Assessments & Taxation, Room 1202, Government Center, 1 W. Market Street, Snow Hill, MD 21863

Where do I mail my tax payment? 

  • Mailing address: P.O. Box 248 Snow Hill, MD 21863 or (for overnight delivery) Room 1105 Government Center, 1 West Market Street, Snow Hill, MD 21863.

Can I make my tax payment online?

  • Yes, payments can be made online through Offfical Payments. Official Payments charges a convenience fee to process state and local payments. The convenience fee may vary based on the payment type and method of payment you choose.



Why did I get a bill for water usage when my house was vacant?