Recycle with Worcester County... all recyclables are free. No permit required! All yard waste requires a Home Owners Permit.
Municipalities and Curbside Pickup
- Snow Hill & Berlin have curbside collection serving about 3000 households for glass, cans, plastics (# 1-7), paper, and cardboard.
- Snow Hill has 3 drop-off sites that collect newspaper, cans, mixed glass, and plastic (# 1-7).
- Pocomoke City has 2 drop-off sites that collect newspaper, cans, mixed glass, and plastic (# 1-7).
- Ocean City - The Town of Ocean City’s solid waste is transported to one of three energy-from-waste facilities, which produce a clean, renewable energy source for cities and towns on the East Coast. Before any of Ocean City’s trash is used to create energy, metals such as aluminums, steels and alloys are removed from the waste stream by the facility to be reused. For every 10 tons of solid waste, 500 pounds of metals are recycled.
Homeowners ONLY. Requires Homeowners Permit - NO COMMERCIAL OR BUSINESS WASTE ALLOWED. Commercial businesses with yard waste, including stumps, may be taken to Central Landfill with proper fees paid.
Yard waste is only accepted in Pocomoke and the Central Landfill. Yard waste consists of leaves (no bags), grass clippings & limbs. No stumps are allowed at the convenience stations. Stumps may be taken to Central Landfill with appropriate fees paid. Christmas trees can be dropped off at the transfer stations or the Central Landfill until January 10 each year. Ocean City also has a drop-off site for Christmas Trees.
Yard waste and Christmas trees are ground into mulch and used at the Central Landfill. The county also encourages backyard composting.
Electronics recycling is encouraged and is free for all Worcester County residents. The following electronics are accepted at no charge: Computers, laptops, and servers. Homeowners can take these items to the Convenience Centers or Central Landfill. Commercial and Businesses are required to take these items to Central Landfill.
Other electronic items are considered refuse and a tipping fee of $70.00 per ton is assessed unless you have a homeowner permit.
Waste oil is collected at the Transfer Stations and at the Central Landfill. Ocean City waste oil is collected at the 66th Street drop-off location only.
- White goods and bulk items are collected at the Central Landfill with a honeowner permit. Tipping fees apply without homeowner permit.
Processing and Marketing
Worcester County opened a new $3.5 million Recycling Processing Center in 2004. Mixed paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, and cans are processed and marketed through the Worcester County Recycling Center and the resulting products are sold to various markets throughout the region.
The county Recycling Coordinator visits schools, civic groups and other organizations through-out the county to promote recycling in Worcester County . Tours are also offered in the new Recycling Center. Newspaper advertisements highlight and support local recycling activities.
Special Recycling Programs
The county holds special recycling events through-out the year. Electronics recycling, household hazardous waste collections, and tire amnesty days are held at various times according to state regulations. Special advertisements will highlight these events. Watch for these ads in the newspapers and on radio.
- Annual Spring Cleanup - This Ocean City program allows residential property owners to do their spring cleaning, discarding bulk items and other debris free of charge. This event is usually held the 2nd weekend in April of each year. For more information, please call the Solid Waste Division at 410-524-0318.
- Bulk Pickup - This program allows the residential property owners within the corporate limits of Ocean City, to place household items, such as old appliances and furniture at curbside for pickup. THE TOWN OF OCEAN CITY WILL NOT ENTER PRIVATE PROPERTY, SUCH ITEMS MUST BE PLACED BY CURB FOR PICKUP. Service operates Monday - Friday from May 1 through September 30. From October 1 through April 30, the service operates on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. The cost is $20.00 for the first item, $30.00 for up to three items, and $5.00 for each additional item. For more information, please call 410-524-0318.
- Christmas Tree Drop-Off - This program allows the taxpayers within the corporate limits of Ocean City, to discard their old Christmas trees. Once dropped off, trees are transported to the Worcester County Landfill to be recycled in the mulching program. Trees are accetped from December 26 - January 31. For more information, please call 410-524-0318.
- Oyster Shell Recycling Program - This program was created in conjunction with the Hotel-Motel-Restaurant Association of Ocean City. The containers for these discarded shells are located at 65th Street. For more information, please contact Mark Mayers of the Harrison Group at 410-726-5789.
Phone: (410) 632-3177
Fax: (410) 632-3000