Recycle with Worcester County... all recyclables are free. No permit required! All yard waste requires a Homeowners Permit.
Items we cannot recycle:
PVC pipe, Styrofoam, plastic wrap, plastic toys
Plastic flower pots, plastic coolers, plastic chairs
Pesticide, antifreeze, oil containers
Mirrors, glass windows
Dishes, drinking glasses
No plastic bags of any kind. Please check with your local grocery and/or other retail stores for plastic bag recycle bins.
Municipalities and Curbside Pickup
- Snow Hill & Berlin have curbside collection serving about 3000 households for glass, cans, plastics (# 1-7), paper and cardboard.
- Snow Hill has 3 drop-off sites that collect newspapers, cans, mixed glass and plastic (# 1-7).
- Pocomoke City has 2 drop-off sites that collect newspapers, cans, mixed glass and plastic (# 1-7).
- Ocean City - The Town of Ocean City’s solid waste is transported to one of three energy-from-waste facilities which produce a clean, renewable energy source for cities and towns on the East Coast. Before any of Ocean City’s trash is used to create energy, metals such as aluminum, steel and alloys are removed from the waste stream by the facility to be reused. For every 10 tons of solid waste, 500 pounds of metals are recycled.
Homeowners ONLY. Requires Homeowners Permit - NO COMMERCIAL OR BUSINESS WASTE ALLOWED. Yard waste, including stumps from commercial businesses must be taken to Central Landfill with appropriate fees paid.
Yard waste is only accepted in Pocomoke and at Central Landfill. Yard waste consists of leaves (no bags), grass clippings and limbs. No stumps are allowed at the convenience stations. Stumps may be taken to Central Landfill with appropriate fees paid. Christmas trees can be dropped off at the convenience stations or the Central Landfill until January 10th each year. Ocean City also has a drop-off site for Christmas trees until January 15th.
Yard waste and Christmas trees are ground into mulch and used at the Central Landfill. The County also encourages backyard composting.
Electronics recycling is encouraged and is free to all Worcester County residents. The following electronics are accepted at no charge: Computers, laptops, and servers. Homeowners can take these items to the convenience stations or Central Landfill. Commercial operators and Businesses are required to take these items to Central Landfill.
Other electronic items are considered refuse and a tipping fee of $70.00 per ton is assessed unless you have a homeowner permit.
Waste oil is collected at the convenience stations and Central Landfill. Ocean City waste oil is collected at the 66th Street drop-off location only.
- White goods and bulk items are collected at the Central Landfill with a honeowner permit. Tipping fees apply without a homeowner permit.
Processing and Marketing
Worcester County opened a new $3.5 million Recycling Processing Center in 2004. Mixed paper, cardboard, glass, plastic and cans are processed through the Worcester County Recycling Center and the resulting products are sold to various markets throughout the region.
The County Recycling Coordinator visits schools, civic groups and other organizations throughout the county to promote recycling in Worcester County . Tours of the Recycling Center are also offered. Newspaper advertisements highlight and support local recycling activities.
Special Recycling Programs
The County holds special recycling events throughout the year. Household hazardous waste collections and tire amnesty days are held at various times according to State regulations. Special advertisements will highlight these events. Watch for these ads in local newspapers and on radio.
- Annual Spring Cleanup - This Ocean City program allows residential property owners to do their spring cleaning, discarding bulk items and other debris free of charge. This event is usually held the 2nd weekend in April of each year. For more information, please call the Ocean City Solid Waste Division at 410-524-0318.
- Bulk Pickup - This program allows residential property owners within the corporate limits of Ocean City to place household items such as old appliances and furniture at curbside for pickup. THE TOWN OF OCEAN CITY WILL NOT ENTER PRIVATE PROPERTY. SUCH ITEMS MUST BE PLACED BY CURB FOR PICKUP. This service operates Monday - Friday from May 1st through September 30th. From October 1st through April 30th, the service operates on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. The cost is $20.00 for the first item, $30.00 for up to three items, and $5.00 for each additional item. For more information, please call 410-524-0318.
- Christmas Tree Drop-Off - This program allows the taxpayers within the corporate limits of Ocean City, to discard their old Christmas trees. Once dropped off at designated locations, trees are transported to the Worcester County Landfill to be recycled in the mulching program. Trees are accepted from December 26th - January 31st. For more information, please call 410-524-0318.
- Oyster Shell Recycling Program - This program was created in conjunction with the Hotel-Motel Restaurant Association of Ocean City. The containers for these discarded shells are located at 65th Street. For more information, please contact Mark Mayers of the Harrison Group at 410-726-5789.
Phone: (410) 632-3177
Fax: (410) 632-3000