Worcester County Tourism is accepting nominations through April 10, 2017 for the 6th annual Worcester Green Awards. Worcester Green celebrates excellence in promoting environmentally friendly practices, strategies and products.
“Our county is fortunate to have so many who are dedicated to cultivating a more sustainable tomorrow,” Worcester County Tourism Director Lisa Challenger said. “I’m so impressed that every year we receive more and more applications that highlight remarkable efforts to use best practices.”
Awards will be granted to Worcester County businesses that demonstrate extraordinary performance related to sustainable environmental practices, such as water conservation, wastewater management, the promotion of alternative transportation and transit, recycling, energy conservation, on-site renewable energy production, use of local products and food sources and the purchase of renewable energy. Nominations are being accepted in the following five categories:
- Community Leader- Business Person or Organization - This award will recognize a long term contribution to the environment by an individual, volunteer or an organization. Efforts should engage community building or conservation.
- Business - This award will recognize a positive ecological footprint in some or all of these areas: storm water, recycling, sedimentation and erosion controls, construction debris reuse, and energy innovation.
- Lodging - This award will recognize a lodging partner that includes some or all of these practices: recycles, use of organic cleaning supplies, reduction of water consumption and use of alternative energy sources.
- Restaurant - This award will recognize a restaurant that has made a concerted effort to buy local, recycle, reduce waste and energy consumption and involve staff and community.
- Teacher - The recipient of this award will have demonstrated leadership in teaching others about the environment.
Applicants will be judged on their overall level of commitment, measurable environmental benefits or progress, cost savings, and customer outreach and engagement. To qualify, applicants must reside or operate businesses in Worcester County. Awards will be announced during the Ocean City Hotel-Motel-Restaurant Association dinner meeting on April 20 in Ocean City.
Worcester Green is sponsored by Worcester County Tourism, Comcast Spotlight, OceanCity.com, OC Hotel-Motel-Restaurant Association, and Maryland Green Travel. The purpose of the program is to encourage Worcester County businesses and community leaders to engage in environmentally-sustainable practices, learn more about such practices, and grow their businesses at the same time.
For more information about the Worcester Green Awards, visit www.visitworcester.org.